Friday, May 22, 2015

A Paternal Perspective

My how much difference a year makes. This time last year we were anticipating the beginning of summer, M was gearing up for break and I was enjoying the glamorous life of an 8-5 job. Fast forward 365 days and we are sharing our life with a beautiful new baby!

Nothing can quite prepare you for your first child. Despite how much we planned our delivery day or imagined what it would be like, life and God are fantastic at throwing the curve ball. M's water broke at 3:30 in the morning and an hour later we found ourselves at the hospital. 23 hours, three nurses and countless ice chip refills later we welcomed our new daughter into the world.

Now over a month later we are finally settling into some sort of normal routine. M has both the pleasure and daunting task of staying home with Little M while I'm at work and our evenings consist of diaper changes, feedings, walks and squeezing in personal hobbies whenever possible. It's the most time consuming job and most rewarding experience I've ever had. For each dirty diaper and crying fit there is a cute face or reflex smile (we're hoping to see true smiles very soon) that make the hard work worth every last second.

One thing I have learned through all of this is how strong a woman M is. I'm constantly in awe of her patience and calming presence throughout even the most intense of Little M's crying spells. It has become clear to me that being a mother is a literal full time job. I'm in awe of the Super Woman I have the pleasure of calling my wife. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment